Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Don't Call It A Comeback...


This is me. You can find previous things I have done here. In a few short hours, I will have a partner in this endeavor. Not to steal his thunder, but you can find his stuff here. As it will more than likely be conveyed here in later posts, I enjoy movies, video games, reading, sports, and all other types of ill shit. Though, while multiple posts would be the drawn out way to introduce myself, I plan to give you a bit of an introduction here...through two aspects of my life, sports and politics. I now give you, "Three Things That Irritate Me."

1. Donté Stallworth.
I'm not going to get into his legal troubles much more than this, the guy was driving drunk and killed someone. He got lucky off of a flawed Florida law and is now facing little to nothing as consequence of his misdeeds. Now why does this bother me? I've noticed a recurring theme among professional athletes today, and that is their choices when it comes to drinking and driving. If I am a professional athlete and am making a living off of a big money contract, I am not going to be driving myself anywhere if I will be drinking. Smart money would be realizing that not only would I be susceptible to any jerk-off who thinks they're big time now that they're a cop (see Moats, Ryan), but I would also be consuming enough alcohol to put me over any .08 limit. You have an entourage, pay one of your boys some money to stay sober and drive you home. Simple solution to a simple problem.

2. The Iranian National Team/Iranian Election.
You can read the full story on this here, but even though it was short lived, hats off to you gentleman. While I don't like either candidate involved in the Iran election situation, oddly enough something that I agree with our President about, I think it is awesome that the soccer team did this in their match today. More power to you. Now to what irritates me about this whole situation. While I will admit that at first I was guilty of this as well, it is something that I have noticed since this story broke. Many Americans are assuming that just because the Iranians are protesting and fighting the election, it makes the currently losing candidate the right person for the job and our Middle-Eastern interests. Sadly, they are mistaken and maybe some research would do all of us well. As our President has even said, "The difference between Ahmadinejad and Mousavi in terms of their actual policies may not be as great as has been advertised."

3. Twitter And It's Impact On Our Society.
Little known fact, I have a Twitter. Slightly lesser known fact, I have a degree in Communication from this Fine Institution. I focus much of my school work on computer mediated communication, and I think Twitter is a great tool to find information on news, politics, and Shaq's thoughts. Through this, I have also learned that it is completely and utterly ridiculous at times. As shown by Conan O'Brien and many morning radio shows, some users on Twitter update with some of the dumbest information ever. Now look at Iran, where Twitter is being used as a means to potentially help bring down a whole political regime. While we live in a society where speech is free, and I am in no way condemning the Twitter users who offer nothing of substance, it confounds me that only a small portion of our country has tapped into this potentially wonderful resource. Don't worry, one look at my profile will show that I am completely guilty of this as well, just some food for though.

So this is my first "Three Things That Irritate Me" and it surely will not be the last. Look for it every Wednesday afternoon or night, no sooner and maybe a little bit later. Other things to look for from me:
  • More gimmicks
  • Sports
  • Movies
  • Video Games
  • Politics
  • YouTube video Fridays
  • Guest Posts!
  • Inane chatter
  • Crappy MS paint!
So tune in next time, same Middle time, same Middle channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment